Frequently Asked Questions - Loss of green card

Includes topics of loss of physical green card papers or the card itself as well as loss of green card through abandonment and criminal activity.

Green Card Stolen
What is to be done when your green card is stolen? I just got mine not to long ago, I am 17 years old and I am not sure what I am supposed to do?

You can easily apply for a replacement green card. Read the instructions on Form I-90. Please visit this link for more information.

How to renew green card
My father's greencard will expire in June. How do we renew it?
Renewing a green card
What if already have a Green Card I lost it, but it wasn't expire yet and I need to redo it how much it going to cost me to renew to get it redo?

You do not need a lawyer for something simple like this usually. I think you should look at Form I-90 at the USCIS web site.

Must I Carry My Green Card With Me At All Times?
Can I keep the notarized copy of my green card instead of original green card? Because I think it’s risky to carry GC all the time and have fear of it getting lost. cost and wait time for replacing GC is very high. When I will travel out of town or government buildings I can take my GC with me. But for other day to day routine travel can I keep my GC safe at home ? What is the maximum penalty I have to pay if random checked by immigration officer (very unlikely) I provide my driving license and notarized copy of GC? Is it very serious offense ? Have you seen people getting into immigration(USCIS) trouble for not carrying original GC? Do we have to do police complaint if GC is lost? If yes then can you please explain the procedure, and forms to fill.
International Travel as a Permanent Resident
1. What documents do I need to travel outside the United States? 2. What documents do I need to present to reenter the United States? 3. Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status? 4. What if my trip abroad will last longer than 1 year? 5. What if I lose my green card or reentry permit or it is stolen or destroyed while I am temporarily traveling outside of the United States?

1. In general, you will need to present a passport from your country of citizenship or your refugee travel document to travel to a foreign country.  In addition, the foreign country may have additional entry/exit requirements (such as a visa).  For information on foreign entry and exit requirements, see the D